Storage / Laying up Instructions for Kineteco Spring Starters
To maintain reliability and to ensure your Kineteco spring starter functions as designed it should be protected from corrosive environments and impact damage when not installed on an engine. The following guidelines should be followed:-
Ensure that the starter is unwound before placing in storage.
- Store the starter in a dry location away from water spray and flood risks, preferably in a water tight box, bag or container.
- Coat the starter and especially the exposed pinion and shaft in a light grease, waxoyl or similar wax based rust inhibitor. Note: - composite bodied starters only require the metallic parts to be coated.
- Ensure that the starter is stored securely avoiding any possibility of it falling on or rolling into any solid object which may cause damage to the operating levers, housings or controls.
- Keep operating handle and instructions with starter.
- If a crank wound starter is flooded with water, remove plastic cap opposite winding handle and drain thoroughly, the starter should then be immersed in light oil for at least 2 hours. Drain the oil, replace the cap and operate the starter on an engine a number of times to disperse any remaining oil or water and to ensure the starter still functions. Re-coat with wax / grease. Cord wound starters should be left to dry thoroughly and the metal parts treated with a light oil and then operated a number of times to disperse any remaining liquid in the starter.